Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Running with the girls

For 10 weeks at the beginning of the year, I run with a group of women at Bull City Running in Durham.  It's a 10-week clinic to help encourage new runners to take up the sport and keep with it.  Last year was my first year, and I enjoyed it so much I came back this year.  I have the privilege this year of being a group leader.  There are 10 ladies in my pace group, and tonight was our 3rd of 10 nights to run together.  I get so much fulfillment out of running with these women.  We talk about everything under the sun, including running, our jobs and where we come from, our families, food, and anything else that crosses our minds.

Tonight I was really NOT feeling much like running.  I was tired all day and even took a quick 10-minute nap as soon as I got home just to find the energy to go tonight.  The 40-minute run, as it turns out, energized and invigorated me.  It felt amazing to be out on a warmer evening in the middle of winter moving and sharing an experience with like-minded women.  For those 40 minutes, we were all focused on the same goal: enjoying our run.  Regardless of our experiences earlier today, we all made the choice to come out and support each other.  We pushed ourselves to go a little farther and a little faster than last week.  We encouraged each other while we ran and congratulated each other when we were done.  And at the end of the day, we'd all had a great run.  Looking forward to next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment